If you love authentic Irish food as I do then you know there’s nothing more Irish then bacon and cabbage together in a recipe. And when you add chicken to the mix your really cooking. Roast Chicken with Bacon and Cabbage is an amazing dish that is sure to please everyone. Whether you’re serving this to your family on an average Monday evening or as the main dish at a St. Patrick’s Day party, it’s sure to be a hit.
Here are the ingredients you will be needing to make this wonderful dish and the things you need to know about it:
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage (about 1/4 head of cabbage)
- 2/3 cup of canned chicken broth (brand doesn’t matter)
- 4 slices of bacon that are cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons of half-and-half
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- Salt and ground black pepper added and seasoned to taste
- First you will need to preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Next in a large skillet you will need to cook the bacon over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Then you will need to drain the bacon well on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Then in that same skillet you will need to brown the chicken for about 3 minutes per side. Then take the chicken breasts from the skillet and put them in a large shallow baking dish.
- Next you will need to bake the chicken for about 15 minutes, or less then that if the chicken is done.
- Then you will need to clean out the skillet and heat the olive oil over low heat for about 1 minute.
- Next add the garlic and onion to the skillet and saute them for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the cabbage to the skillet and cook for another minute.
- Next you will need to pour in the broth and turn the heat up to high. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring it often. Then let it simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes until the cabbage has softened.
- Next using a slotted draining spoon you will need to spoon the cabbage onto plates.
- You will need to bring the cooking liquid to a complete boil, and then allow it to reduce itself by half.
- Next you will need to stir in the half and half then whisk in the butter. Finally, stir the cut bacon into the sauce.
- Then taste the sauce and add salt and or pepper as you feel it is needed.
To serve the Roast Chicken with Bacon and Cabbage you just need to slice the chicken into thin pieces. Then arrange the tasty chicken on top of the cabbage, and then pour some sauce on top of the chicken. And there you go a real authentic Irish dish. And considering it took about 15 minutes of prep time and 35 minutes to cook that’s not half bad. It’s ready in 50 minutes from start to finish and serves 4.